Let Me Fly Free

Tuesday 5 July 2016


Title: Let Me Fly Free
Author: Mary Fan
Series: Fated Stars #4
Release Date: 5th July 2016
Synopsis:

Fire fears nothing. And Elaia is about to show her world that she doesn’t, either.

Like the rest of her kind, fire nymph Elaia is bound to her homeland, a forest whose borders were closed centuries earlier in a peace agreement between the humans and the enchanted creatures of the Terrestrial Realm.

But her heart is as restless as the flames she casts, and she secretly yearns to defy that order.

When a mysterious threat creeps into the forest, an invisible beast that leaves a trail of death in its wake, Elaia is determined to fight back and protect her people. But first she must learn what the beast is … and the answers lie beyond the borders of her land.

Defeating this evil means she’ll have to go outside the rules, but she’ll do anything to find the answers she seeks—even if leaving her homeland means not only breaking the law, but risking her own life.

I received a copy of this book in an exchange for an honest review, thanks to Glass House Press

I am in turmoil on how to feel about this book, on one hand I am fantasy lover and I love this type of genre, on the other, I am in doubt on how to feel about Elaia.

Elaia is a fire nymph, trapped between the borders of Kristakai, longs to explore what's out there. Her powers are limited and created from unicorn magic. Cyim, her Terrine Father, is one of the seven unicorns who has celestial powers and is immortal. Guardians of the Kristakai realm, a new threat lurks, killing innocent civilians right under their noses. No one seems to know what it is and Elaia is determined to find out.

The plot of this short novella, was definitely interesting. The whole celestial magic, each magical being linked to one of the unicorns is a very interesting concept. I am loving the unicorns being majestic, immortal magical creatures, not just parents but act as guardians and protectors too with infinite knowledge and wisdom. Since this is a short novella, there is a lot of discovering and exploration that can be made. The author can dive in to so many things, make up so many magical mythical creatures. 

One thing that annoyed me the most was how impulsive, selfish and manipulative Elaia really is. She just seemed to fake everything, I hate the way she wanted to look down on everyone and made them seem as inferior. Her interaction with the human, I wanted to just slap some sense in to her. How could she act so selfish even if she thought she was doing it for the right reasons? When she clearly was not. Oh and Kiri, she just uses her to her own advantage and likes to play with her emotions. I hate how she always describes Kiri as so weak and thinks nothing of her. Like its Kiri's mission to just keep Elaia happy. Sorry ranting now, I appreciate she wants to keep everyone safe even though she has no need to, wants to explore places, do things that she is forbidden do. That kind of curiosity I can understand but does she need to act so ruthless? 

Cyim is once character I did enjoy, but it was too short to my liking. I really hope I get to know more about him and other unicorns. There is certainly will be more action to come since it hints the end of the world, I am interested to know what will happen in the Age of Fire.

The writing was very well written, not sure if this book acts as a introductory to the whole series but it does have numerous areas where it can be explored. I fell in love with how the world was depicted, I felt like I was there the whole time.



Happy reading!

Have you ever read short novellas before? What are your thought on it? Let me know in the comments below!

Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram | Facebook | G+ | Pinterest Bloglovin


Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.