Heartless

Saturday 29 April 2017



Yooooo!!! Peeps!! What's up??? I feel like it has been forever since I was at home, and blogging is home for me? You know why??? Because of THE BOOKS OF COURSE!!!!! 😂😁😀😌😌😍😍😍😍😍😍. I need to get in to a proper routine, I feel like a wreck after starting a new job and being at work when most people are asleep!!! YIKES! BUT I WILL SUCCEED!!!


Title: Heartless
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published: 8th November 2016
My Rating: 3/5
Recommend: Yes
Synopsis:

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.
 



Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review

I have too many emotions for this book, if I should be totally honest with myself I could not bring myself to even think about this review let alone write it. I am still feeling the after effects of this book hours later....

One thing I never realised about this book (unsure how I never noticed) was that it was a retelling of Alice in the Wonderland. Can you believe this? I have also never read a Alice in the Wonderland retelling before, this being my first retelling, both my brain and heart have no idea how to feel about this book. I had a lot of issues at the beginning of the book, for one I was really finding it hard to get in to the story. 

My main problem was with Cath and at her inability to speak up for herself and being fatalistic about her own fate. That really got on my nerves, I found myself constantly fuming. I was ready to unleash my wrath on her parents, specifically her mother. She thought she knew best for daughter's happiness when clearly she didn't? And her father? He who is supposed to protect and cherish her. He wouldn't hear the end of it, always acting like being wrapped around his wife's fingers, only dancing to her tunes. 

One thing I am glad though, I felt like it finally took like ageeeessss before Cath finally lived up to the character I always knew she would be. She went from being told what to do to telling other people what to do. It is a shame that it took a deep tragedy for her to only realise and act upon it. Cath's lack of thoughtfulness for the consequences got on my nerves a lot. If she is being told that if you make this decision this is what will happen, which sane person would that? Especially after Hatter repeatedly is warning her of the dire consequences!!! LIKE WHAT THE HELL CATH!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???????

The only person that made this whole story worth it was Jest, my poor baby. I cannot even think about him without crying. WHY?????? I love him so much, he made everything in this story bearable. I read it only for you Jest, only to know you and have my heart taken from me willingly. 

On a side note, I did a buddy read with Amy ( A Magical World of Words) so please go and check out her review here


Until then amigos! 

Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^
Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | G+ | Pinterest

6 comments

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this as much. I've just read Amy's review and now yours, and I can see why. Anyway, fantastic review. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and thank you for the lovely comment. Amy's review is fantastic! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful review, Aneesa! And thanks for being such an awesome buddy - I loved discussing with you :) <3

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so sweet! :) You are awesome buddy ready too! :) <3

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't love this book, but thanks for sharing your reasoning :) I read like 10 pages of this book like a year ago and haven't gotten around to finishing it. Maybe someday? Haha. Have a wonderful week!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah...I was actually like that, if it was not for me buddy reading I would not have finished this book! Lol I hope so, I cannot wait to hear what you think! :)

      Delete

Welcome © . Theme by STS.