The Mine

Monday 5 December 2016



Title: The Mine
Author: John A. Heldt
Published: 6th December 2013
My Rating: 3/5
Recommend: Yes
Synopsis:


In May 2000, Joel Smith is a cocky, adventurous young man who sees the world as his playground. But when the college senior, days from graduation, enters an abandoned Montana mine, he discovers the price of reckless curiosity. He emerges in May 1941 with a cell phone he can't use, money he can't spend, and little but his wits to guide his way. Stuck in the age of swing dancing and a peacetime draft, Joel begins a new life as the nation drifts toward war. With the help of his 21-year-old trailblazing grandmother and her friends, he finds his place in a world he knew only from movies and books. But when an opportunity comes to return to the present, Joel must decide whether to leave his new love in the past or choose a course that will alter their lives forever. THE MINE follows a humbled man through a critical time in history as he adjusts to new surroundings and wrestles with the knowledge of things to come.


Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review

Joel Smith- an, optimistic who likes to look at the bright side of things, never to dwell on matters very long, Joel is an adventurer who likes to explore life and every journey that comes with each day. 

This book is set in two different times, 1941 and 2001. Joel (I keep thinking Joe in my brain for some reason) loves geology, his second love. His fascination with rocks leads him to go back in time and live a whole new life (without technology I can't imagine how I would cope). But in some sense, I wish I could back in my parents time where life wasn't taken over by technology, it didn't have much use back then. Back then, life was so simple, people communicated with each other face to face, saw their family regularly, made time for friends. That's what life is about. As this book evidently displays between the two era's, Joel falls in love with Grace, which is great but the only issue is she is already in a relationship with someone (not to mention engaged!).

Grace is shy, reserved but loyal friend. She has a difficult upbringing and I really sympathise with her loss but I have an issue with trying or attempting to start a relationship with Joel when she is already engaged with Paul. It's not as if she doesn't have alarm bells ringing in her head or being warned by her friends to be careful. As a result of this, when the truth does finally come out and she breaks up with Paul but also loses a friend. I am so not okay with this. Yes they both deserve someone special but she didn't need to sneak off and do stuff with Joel. And Joel? He was aware of everything yet he still acted foolish in my opinion.

I also have a little issue with the ending, I love happy endings but I am not so sure with this one after Joel returns back to his own time. How is it possible that Grace follows him in to the future without ageing one bit?

Oh I forgot! You know who absolutely stole my heart? Of course you don't know silly me. Ginny and Tom, they were absolutely adorable I loved them to bits. Both of them intelligent, beautiful, opposite, supportive and totally in love. It is a shame though that Tom had to die, I enjoyed his friendship with Joel. I can't freaking believe Ginny is Joel's grandmother! Can you believe it? I know I know!

Held does explore racial discrimination that was inflicted upon Japanese as a result of the war, it also touches upon important topics in keeping faith in humanity through turbulent times. I have to him extra brownie points for that, it really was a important matter to talk about.


Have you ever read books where the characters actions are just increasingly frustrating? It gets on my nerves even when I try to ignore it or stomp on it, how do you cope with it?. Tell me in the comments below








 Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^
 Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | G+ | Pinterest

Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.