ARC Review: The Square Root of Summer - Never stop moving forward

Monday 22 August 2016



Title: The Square Root of Summer
Author: Harriet Reuter Hapgood
Published: 3rd May 2016
My Rating: 3/5
Recommend: Yes
Synopsis:

This is what it means to love someone. This is what it means to grieve someone. It's a little bit like a black hole. It's a little bit like infinity.

Gottie H. Oppenheimer is losing time. Literally. When the fabric of the universe around her seaside town begins to fray, she's hurtled through wormholes to her past:

To last summer, when her grandfather Grey died. To the afternoon she fell in love with Jason, who wouldn't even hold her hand at the funeral. To the day her best friend Thomas moved away and left her behind with a scar on her hand and a black hole in her memory.

Although Grey is still gone, Jason and Thomas are back, and Gottie's past, present, and future are about to collide—and someone's heart is about to be broken.

With time travel, quantum physics, and sweeping romance, The Square Root of Summer is an exponentially enthralling story about love, loss, and trying to figure it all out, from stunning debut YA voice, Harriet Reuter Hapgood.
 




I received this book in an exchange for an honest review

I am utterly baffled at this book, there is honestly no other way to explain I have no freaking idea what this book is about (so how do I type up this review?). So I thought the book was absolutely amazing even if I had no idea what Gottie was talking about, I felt like I needed someone to translate what she was saying in very simple words. But hey, I think I got the jist of it, Gottie was at two places at the same time, the past and the present. So she tries to figure out how that is possible which leads to all the mathematical theories which I have no idea what they mean. You know that student in Math class that would rather asleep when the teacher spoke about Maths? Yeah that was me, me and Math or Maths (as British people say) have a love- hate relationship.

ANYWAYS...back to the main point

Gottie is a very interesting character, she is basically a mathematical prodigy (can we trade brains?) who lives in the garden. Both Gottie and Ned are devastated after the demise of Grey, in present state, we see how Grey deeply affected their lives not just his Grandchildren but his son too.

Okay so help me out here, I read the text three times but my final conclusion is that; Ned, Gottie and their dad are German but live in the UK? or Is it Australia? Because I swear I kept going back and fourth, from the scenes that are described I was sure it was England since Ned attends one of them but I truly have no idea. Oh the German words? Well...I may have or not tried speaking those terms in a German accent and epically failed :( maybe I should have just called Gottie and asked her I'm sure she would have told me how to pronounce them.

Ned is a very quirky character who is very hipster like with his odd clothing choices, him and Jason have a band together. Jason is Gottie's ex, and guess what? The idiot left her when Grey died last summer, and ever since things have been awkward between them (well when he comes back from uni anyways). Jason is very annoying, I feel like he just used Gottie and then dumped like there is no tomorrow. What an idiot. How dare he treat girls like that? Gottie should totally knock his teeth out, she totally has my support. Ned on the other hand, although he may seem odd, actually turns out to be very lovable and protective of his sister. Go Jason! #yayteamjason

Thomas, a very English name, is the only breath of air. He can cook, loves his cardy and is total nerd. Are you in love with him yet? He moves away to Canada at a very young age, there is some disturbance in the timeline with Thomas and Gottie's friendship, she sent him an email apparently to which she has no memory of. How is that possible? There is also some weird mystery of Gottie not replying to Thomas's email. What's even more odd is that, Gottie doesn't even have a email address. See the irony? I was beginning to think maybe she has Amnesia.

Moving on in life when a close family member dies is very hard, this book shows the journey of how the tear in fabric of time took Gottie to that moment her world fell apart, along with her grief begins the journey of moving on. Grey maybe gone but he is never forgotten. 


 Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^
 Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | G+ | Pinterest

Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.