Emerge

Saturday 30 April 2016


Title: Emerge
Author: Tobie Easton
Published: 19th April 2016
My rating: 3/5
Recommend: Yes
Synopsis:

Lia Nautilus may be a Mermaid but she’s never lived in the ocean. War has ravaged the seven seas ever since the infamous Little Mermaid unleashed a curse that stripped Mer of their immortality. Lia has grown up in a secret community of land-dwelling Mer hidden among Malibu’s seaside mansions. Her biggest problems are surviving P.E. and keeping her feelings for Clay Ericson in check. Sure, he’s gorgeous in that cocky, leather jacket sort of way and makes her feel like there’s a school of fish swimming in her stomach, but getting involved with a human could put Lia's entire community at risk.

So it’s for the best that he’s dating that new girl, right? That is, until Lia finds out she isn't the only one at school keeping a potentially deadly secret. And this new girl? Her eyes are dead set on Clay, who doesn't realize the danger he's in. If Lia hopes to save him, she’ll have to get closer to Clay. Lia’s parents would totally flip if they found out she was falling for a human boy, but the more time she spends with him, the harder it is for her to deny her feelings. After making a horrible mistake, Lia will risk everything to stop Clay from falling in love with the wrong girl.



I received an eARC from the publisher in an exchange for an honest review

A direct descendent from Little Mermaid has cursed the Mer folk, war has ensued to find a political leader who is not corrupted. The Mer folk are enraged they want their immortality back but thanks to the Little Mermaid they are trapped and age like humans. Lia and her family live in Malibu, her parents oversee and run the foundation they have started on land to ensure they are protected and are blended in with the way human lives.

I was really surprised that the Little Mermaid was the ancestor for Lia and her family, I am not sure what I had envisioned really; I was under the impression this book would be like all the other Mer books I have read, but with this added little twist I was relieved. Phew! *wipes brow*. Mel and her father made the plot very interesting with the added knots that were added with each turn, it made me think how Lia will ever get this situation under control. Then BAM! comes another twist which I was totally not expecting, can Mer folk even do that? I haven't read much retellings so I am not completely sure . For a short while, it seemed everything was too easy and perfect which made the story line a little tedious and boring, I wanted more action, more romance. Although there was some towards the end, for me it wasn't enough for what it seemed like would be a epic story. It makes me wonder though, is that the end of the plot? Or is there another book in the series?

Lia is shown to develop at some point throughout the book especially when she is forced to take matters in to her hands and save Clay, it was fun to see her be a little decisive and confident in her own choices. I would be lying if I said a small part of me seeing her rebel against her parents a little did not enjoy it, I found her more likeable and relatable as a character then. Caspian is a true gentlemen. There is not other way to describe him.

Without Caspian, I would
be lost.

He is so sweet and adorable, and a true friend. Someone you can rely on in your bad times if that isn't a good enough reason to read the book then how handsome him and Clay is? I mean even Lia admits to that and even I would not turn a blind eye.

Me: Right Lia? ;D
Lia: Right ;)

Clay is very innocent in all of this, being pulled in one direction and then another I really felt sorry for him. To him, both girls were interested but only one was working out whereas the other was true but fake :(. I like that his character was confident and sure of himself but was never afraid to show vulnerability. Most male characters have their ego or pride which does not allow them to 'talk about their feelings' but thankfully that was not the case with Clay.

True love is worth everything. The theme of the book, the book illustrated this perfectly even if their was a few parts in the book where I had no idea where this was going. I thought there was some parts in the book where it was unnecessarily prolonged, I just wanted it to be over and done with. This was increasingly frustrating as a reader when you simply want to enjoy the book.

Have you read this type of book before? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Happy reading!








Like what you read? Don't forget to share this! ^^

Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.